Monday, March 17, 2008
Everyone had some pretty educated ideas about the cause and solutions to help the economy. However, there seems to always be one in every group that just doesn’t quite get it.
My liberal friend says (yes, I have liberal friends) the economical fall out is a direct result of the Bush Administrations Tax Cuts and they should be eliminated. He says we should also raise taxes on the rich and corporations, especially oil companies and give that money to the middle class who desperately needs it and deserves it. (No he is not Barack Obama)
My friend then went on to explain that when Obama is president he should just print more money so more would be available. He is definitely a product of government schools.
I really don’t have time right now to explain why this is one of the most economically illiterate ideas ever, but then I also assume readers of this blog share an intelligence level higher than most and may actually understand economics.
This is why we are headed towards a recession, because people in this country are financially and economically illiterate.
Unless you are living a life of isolation you no doubt have heard about NY Gov. Elliot Spitzer and his hooker, but can we please get a grip! This thing has taken up 90% of the news coverage.
So the governor paid a hooker for sex and got caught. Like he is the only man in America to ever do such a thing…It can’t be the oldest profession in the world without customers.
Spitzer has admitted to the allegations, resigned and has been replaced. This story should be over, but oh no. Everyone loves a good sex scandal. So the story goes on.
Now we are being told about all the inside information into the world of call girls, and learning all the details about this young woman. In the end this story is going to make this young woman very rich.
The real annoying thing about this story is not the hypocrisy of the governor, who conducted his whole career denouncing and prosecuting such behaviors under the law, but how the main stream media has handled the story.
Spitzer is a Democrat, but you won’t find it in any of their news reports. In fact some of the broadcast news networks have refused to identify Spitzer as a Democrat at all. Would a Republican receive the same courtesy? I think not.
Newsbusters has a great example of this from ABC news. It’s an ABC's "Political Sex Scandals Redux" popup slideshow from recent years and you can see for yourself they are very quick to identify Republicans in scandals, but not Democrats.
One news outlet has actually identified Spitzer as a Republican! Amazing!
Well we are continuously learning more about Saddam’s regime as these documents continue to be analyzed. Today we have another story stemming from those sets of documents that is sure to get the same amount of media coverage from the mainstream media.
A report titled “Saddam and Terrorism and released this week by the Institute for Defense Analyses, says it found no “smoking gun” linking Iraq operationally to Al Qaeda, but says Saddam collaborated with known Al Qaeda affiliates and a wider constellation of Islamist terror groups.
Now the no “smoking gun” between Saddam operationally to al Qaeda is sure to get some attention. Just as it has in the past to similar reports, but let’s take a look at what the mainstream media likes to ignore.
In this report you will find the following:
~The Iraqi Intelligence Service in a 1993 memo to Saddam agreed on a plan to train commandos from Egyptian Islamic Jihad, the group that assassinated Anwar Sadat and was founded by Al Qaeda's second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahiri.
• In the same year, Saddam ordered his intelligence service to "form a group to start hunting Americans present on Arab soil; especially Somalia ." At the time, Al Qaeda was working with warlords against American forces there.
• Saddam's intelligence services maintained extensive support networks for a wide range of Palestinian Arab terrorist organizations, including but not limited to Hamas. Among the other Palestinian groups Saddam supported at the time was Force 17, the private army loyal to Yasser Arafat.
• Beginning in 1999, Iraq 's intelligence service began providing "financial and moral support" for a small radical Islamist Kurdish sect the report does not name. A Kurdish Islamist group called Ansar al Islam in 2002 would try to assassinate the regional prime minister in the eastern Kurdish region, Barham Salih.
• In 2001, Saddam's intelligence service drafted a manual titled "Lessons in Secret Organization and Jihad Work—How to Organize and Overthrow the Saudi Royal Family." In the same year, his intelligence service submitted names of 10 volunteer "martyrs" for operations inside the Kingdom.
• In 2000, Iraq sent a suicide bomber through Northern Iraq who intended to travel to London to assassinate Ahmad Chalabi, at the time an Iraqi opposition leader who would later go on to be an Iraqi deputy prime minister. The mission was aborted after the bomber could not obtain a visa to enter the United Kingdom.
Saddam may not have had a direct link into al Qaeda operations, but there is now little doubt there was some type of relationship.
Now let’s sit back and watch the mainstream media ignore these facts in the report and continue the claim of no link between Saddam and al Qaeda or terrorism.
Obama is now trying to distance himself from the comments of his friend, moral advisor and pastor. Obama claims he never heard the good pastor say such things…Right. The pastor who married him and his wife, baptized his children. This pastor is not some peripheral figure; he is a big part of who Barack Obama is!
You can tell a lot about a man by the company that he keeps. We are starting to learn who Barack Obama is.
These comments about his pastor are not new, but the media has been ignoring it until now.
Thou shall not pollute. The Vatican has gone green saying climate change had become gravely important for the entire human race and told the faithful they should be aware of “new” sins such as causing environmental blight.
According to this report from Reuters, the Vatican has become progressively “green” installing photovoltaic cells on buildings to produce electricity and hosted a scientific conference to discuss the ramifications of global warming and climate change, widely blamed on human use of fossil fuels.
I guess the Vatican forgot to invite the other scientist who say the use of human fossil fuels have nothing to do with global warming or climate change.
Some of the other “new seven sins” are just as ridiculous. For instance causing poverty, how exactly does one cause poverty? Accumulating excessive wealth? The Catholic Church is one of the richest organizations in the world. In fact they have more money than most countries! So, what exactly is the definition of excessive wealth?
Anyways here is a list of the new seven:
· Genetic experimentation
· Tampering with the order of nature
· Social injustice
· Causing poverty
· Accumulating excessive wealth
· Drug abuse
Well at least they don’t come with punishments like the original seven sins put fourth by Pope Gregory in the 6th Century.
Here are the original sins and their punishments:
Pride Broken on the wheel
Envy Put in freezing water
Gluttony Forced to eat rats, toads and snakes
Lust Smothered in fire and brimstone
Anger Dismembered alive
Greed Put in cauldrons of boiling oil
Sloth Thrown in snake pits